This Vanilla Spice Oatmeal is a classic fall recipe. You can't go wrong with a steaming bowl of vanilla-spiced oatmeal with a pinch of cinnamon on top.
How to Make Vanilla Spice Oatmeal ?
- 3 ½ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped, optional
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, plus more, to taste
- 1 cup lowfat milk, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan , bring the water and salt to a boil.
- Stir in the oats and raisins, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, place nuts, if using, in a dry skillet over a medium-high flame, and toast, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- When the oats are cooked remove pan from the flame and stir in the vanilla and nutmeg.
- Swirl in the brown sugarand place the oatmeal in serving bowls.
- Pour ¼ cup of milk on top of each bowl, and top with toasted nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Note: For a quicker version using quick cooking or plain instant oatmeal: Cook the oatmeal according to the directions on the package. Stir raisins, brown sugar, and nutmeg into the cooked oatmeal. Top with milk, nuts (toasted or un-toasted) and cinnamon.
Vanilla Spice Oatmeal is a simple and easy recipe for those who want to make it at home. This oatmeal recipe contains just the right amount of spices and vanilla extract to satisfy your taste buds. Vanilla Spice Oatmeal can be served as a hearty breakfast or as a light snack with some fresh fruit, but we recommend making it for dinner to enjoy with your family and friends.