This creamy, not-too-sweet, slightly tart ice cream is perfect for a hot summer night. Coconut Kiwi Ice cream is what you should give a shot. Using the kiwi skin as a bowl to hold the ice cream, makes for a beautiful presentation. If you are not a big kiwi fan, feel free to use a mango or papaya, but the toasted coconut topping is a must.
Coconut Kiwi Ice cream
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 kiwis
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, cut and seeded
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 mint sprigs, for garnish.
*Make sure your ice cream maker is frozen solid before starting this recipe
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread out the coconut on a small baking sheet and bake, stirring once or twice, until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
1. Remove both ends of the kiwi with a pairing knife. To remove the kiwi skin and keep it intact for the presentation insert a spoon between the flesh of the kiwi and the skin of the kiwi with the back of the spoon facing outwards. Gently turn the kiwi so that the spoon removes the flesh from the skin. Make sure to keep approx ⅛ inch of kiwi flesh on the kiwi skin so that it can keep it's shape and not fall apart. With the kiwi skin standing up, place it on a plate into the freezer so that it can hold up when ice cream is placed into it.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the coconut milk, vanilla bean seeds, vanilla extract, lime juice and maple syrup. Adjust to desired taste.
3. With the ice cream maker running, pour the mixture in and run for approximately 15 minutes, or until it is close to soft serve ice cream consistency.
4. While ice cream is running cut the kiwi flesh into small bite size pieces. Add to ice cream maker approx 18 minutes into running. *The earlier that you add the kiwi the more frozen it will be, which is less desirable to some.
5. Turn ice cream maker off after approximately 23 minutes of running or until desired consistency is reached. With a rubber spatula, scrape ice cream into a container immediately and place in freezer. Remove from freezer approximately 3 minutes prior to serving and using an ice cream scooper scoop into the frozen kiwi skins.
6. Top with the toasted shredded coconut and a sprig of mint. Serve immediately and enjoy with your peeps!