Make sure you have a large spoon! These cheesy mashed potatoes are a combination of cauliflower and potatoes, roasted garlic and onions, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese—All finished together in the broiler until golden brown and bubbly on top! Unlike most recipes for mashed potatoes, this one is flavor-packed without adding lots a butta! Also, instead of going full starch on you with a totally potato mash, I substituted in some cauliflower and chopped onion to give the dish an extra boost of fiber. Enjoy all of this creamy goodness!
Cheesy Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Time: 30 minutes
1 russet potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
4 cloves garlic, roasted and minced (sweet when roasted!)
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (reserve 1/4 for the topping)
1 cup buttermilk
unrefined sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the cauliflower pieces in salted boiling water for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until well done. Drain well and dry.
2. Cook the potato pieces in a separate pot of salted boiling water for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and reserve some of the cooking liquid.
3. Sauté the onions together with the olive oil in a small pan for about 3 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
4. In a bowl with an immersion blender (pictured below), puree the hot cauliflower with the boiled potatoes, the sautéed onions, Parmesan cheese, buttermilk, roasted garlic, sea salt, and pepper until almost smooth. If you like your mash super creamy or feel like it needs more liquid, add some of the reserved cooking liquid from the boiled potatoes.
5. Scoop the mashed potato mixture into a casserole dish and top with the rest of the grated Parmesan and butter. Place in the broiler for a few minutes until golden brown and the cheese is bubbly!